Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Chapter - 6

 
Only a few months have passed and things couldn't be better. Mom introduced Adam and I to her new boyfriend Matt, who apparently she has been dating for months now. She just didn't tell us about him because she didn't want us to think he was trying to replace our father, and she didn't want us to blame ourselves if something went wrong between them. She said that things have gotten serious in their relationship, and that she feels it's time that we get to know him. I know he can't replace our father, but he does deserve a fair chance doesn't he?

That evening after Matt heads home, and Mom pulls Adam and I off to the side and asks us if we think she should invite Matt and his sister over for Thanksgiving dinner, which of course we both agree to. Mom beams as she says, "You two are the best! I couldn't ask for better children than you two, and I love you both so much. I'll call him to let him know. Oh! Faith, have you laid the turkey out for dinner tomorrow?" I give her a nod and tell her that I have even started baking the pies and making deviled eggs, macaroni salad, and the cranberry sauce. She smiles widely before replying, "You really are too much! Thank you for starting all of that for me. I know I haven't been around much due to work, but I really appreciate everything you do around here." Adam smiles and says, "I have some good news as well. I start work at Mel's Diner right in town. It's a small little 1950's place and it pays minimum wage plus tips." "Oh that's great news Adam! You're saving that money for college right?" Mom asks. Adam nods, and says some of it is being saved for college, but most of it is going to go towards fixing up his car. Mom tells him that it's good idea and to keep up the good work, as I head back into the kitchen to finish making the food I had started to prepare.

The following day is hectic from the time we all get up in the morning. Granted most of the cooking and baking had been done the night before, but there is still so much that needs to be done. The doorbell rings a cheerful chime, and Adam opens the door to find Matt holding flowers for Mom. "She's in the kitchen. Come on in," Adam tells him. Matt then follows Adam into the kitchen where he wraps his arms around Mom before kissing her. Mom's cheeks turn a radiant pink as she blushes, "Why don't you sit with Adam in the living room while Faith and I finish dinner?" "That's a grand idea. The football game is on, and I never miss it on turkey day." he replies. "Who's playing?" Mom asks. "The Patriots vs. The Dallas Cowboys. You know the Pats are gonna slaughter them," Matt chuckles and kisses Mom on the cheek before following Adam into the living room to watch the big game. "So Mom, have you and Matt discussed future plans yet? You know, as in the big 'M'?" I ask. Mom smiles, "No honey, I think it's a little too soon for that. What I had with your father was special, and we knew right from the start that we were meant for each other. He will always hold a piece of my heart." I can't help but to get the feeling that I have met Matt somewhere before. Perhaps from my childhood? He just has that familiar look.

An hour later, the oven chimes, signaling the turkey is ready to come out. Mom puts on her oven mitts and grabs the turkey out, as I gather all of the  delicious sides and place them onto the table. "Faith, can you set the table while I get Matt and your brother to join us?" Mom asks unknowingly that I had already started, and I nod and tell her that I will. As Mom enters the living room, she smiles widely as Adam and Matt are in deep conversation about how he knew our father, and that he had served with him in the Military. "I just can't believe how much the two of you have grown. The last time I saw you and your sister, you were in grade school. You're father was my best friend all through high school and was a very respected man in the Military." he tells Adam. Adam beams at the thought of Matt being Dad's best friend and fighting beside him during the war in Iraq. "Dinner is ready, that is if you two are ready to eat," Mom tells them with a smile. "It smells delicious darling, and I'm famished." Matt replies. Adam pats his stomach before saying, "You know I'm always hungry Mom, and it does smell so very good." The two follow Mom into the kitchen. We all sit at the table together as Mom says grace. As we're all passing the delicious food around the table to fill our plates, the doorbell chimes once again. Mom then excuses herself from the table and gets up to see who it could possibly be.

She opens the door to find Jax and Shannon on the other side. "I hope we're aren't intruding. Is the invitation still open? My mother went to visit my Aunt in South Carolina, and won't be home as she got stranded at the airport due to the heavy snow, and Jax's father is out on a business trip leaving Jax at home alone." Shannon explains. "Of course! The two of you are like family and are always welcome here any time," Mom replies and shows them into the dining room. "Please take a seat and help yourselves. Matt this is Adam's friend Jax, and Faith's friend Shannon." Mom tells Matt. He then shakes their hands and tells them that it's nice to meet them. "So Matt tells me he was Dad's best friend and served with him in the Military." Adam tells us.

"That's where I have seen him before. I haven't seen him since my brother and I were very young. He was Dad's best friend in high school, but if he was Dad's best friend, what is he doing with our mother and how did he find us? I guess as long as Mom is happy, what difference does it make? After all we have been through she does deserve to be happy," I think to myself.  "That's right Adam, he was your fathers best friend, and fought with him in Iraq. I just didn't know he had moved out here. You see when you're father was killed, Matt was wounded when he tried to get to your father when he noticed was shot. You and Faith probably don't really remember him since you were very young the last time he was around," Mom says. "I'm sure I can speak for both of us when I say that as long as you're happy, we're happy for you. After all Mom, you deserve to be happy too," I tell her.

After dinner, Shannon and I clean the kitchen and put away the food that's left over. As I'm wiping down the counter, Shannon turns to me and says, "So Matt is kind of cute, I mean for an older guy. Do you think he's the right one for your mom?" I pause for a moment before replying, "I think so. I mean as long as he treats her right, and does what a man is supposed to do to support his family, then yes I do think he's the right one for her. Besides, Adam seems to really like him and looks up to him. I think he can use a father figure to look up to ya know." Shannon gives a little nod, "Yeah. I think Adam can use that too. I mean I don't know much about fathers considering mine took off when I was five. All I ever get from him is simple Birthday and Christmas card telling me how sorry he is that he couldn't make it home."

I frown slightly at the thought of Shannon's father not being around much, "I'm sorry, I didn't know.... about your father I mean." I tell her. Shannon sighs and says, "It's alright. I have gotten used to it over the years. My parents can never get along when they're in the same room. Everything turns into a huge fight, and I can't blame him for staying away from her." I can tell by the look on Shannon's face that she can indeed use a good pick me upper, and I know just the thing to cheer her up! "Shannon, I know today is Thanksgiving and all, but at 6pm Black Friday sales start. What do you say we go shopping?" I ask her. Shannon beams as she replies, "You know for a change I haven't even thought about that! Shopping sounds great, but would your Mom mind if we went out? I mean she did invite Matt here for you and Adam to get to know him." "Ugh! Yeah I kind of forgot about that. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if we went out when he goes home," I reply.

As Shannon and I get the kitchen finished, Mom pokes her head in and suggests that we join them in the living room for a card game. "Matt will be going home afterwards, but I thought it would be a great way to spend some time with him," Mom tells us. Shannon and I nod in agreement and head into the living room to join them. I take a seat next to Jax and Shannon takes a seat next to Adam. "So do all of you know how to play Rummy 500, or would you like me to explain the rules?" Matt asks us. All of us agree that we know the rules and are ready to play. Matt shuffles the cards and passes out six cards to each of us, and then places the rest of the deck face down in the middle of the table with one card facing up beside it. An hour passes and of course Mom is the first one to go out, with Adam right behind her. "I just know that it won't be long until I'm out of the game as well. Oh well, at least I have Jax right next to me to keep me entertained. Then again who am I kidding, he probably doesn't even know that I exist," I think to myself.

Two hours fly by as the card game comes to an end leaving Shannon as the winner. "You got lucky," Jax snickers at Shannon. "You wish! You're just mad cause I won!" she tells him jokingly. Matt sits next to Mom on the love seat and snuggles with her, "You have really good kids, and I'm glad I'm able to get to know them. We should do this a little more often. How would you feel about seeing the new Star Wars movie and bring them along?" Mom beams as she replies, "Really? I would really love that!" "I thought you might. How about tomorrow evening? Say after dinner at Black Diamond?" he asks. "That sounds great! Adam, Faith what do you think?" Mom asks us. We both tell her that sounds like alot of fun and that we would really love to go. "Well then it's settled. Black Diamond for dinner, and see the movie afterwards. I really don't want this night to end, but I really need to get home as it's getting late. I'll pick you and the kids up at six O'clock," Matt replies as Mom walks him to the door.

"I should be going too," Jax tells us. "You know Jax, you and Adam could come Christmas shopping with us," I tell him. With a smirk, Jax replies, "Thanks, but no thanks. Shopping on Black Friday isn't my thing. Are you sure you girls know what you're in for? With all of the other customers pushing you out of the way, knocking you down, and snatching things right out of your hands?" Shannon lets out a giggle before replying, "This isn't the first time I have been shopping on Black Friday, and I'm sure it won't be the last, so I'm well aware of how horrible other shoppers can be. But I can assure you that it's not as bad as others make it out to be. We'll be fine." "Mmhmm" Adam murmurs jokingly. Just then I hear Mom tell Matt goodnight and shuts the door behind him.

Shannon follows me into the foyer where we find Mom who is about to head into the living room. "Hey Mom, I just thought I would let you know that I'm gonna do a little shopping with Shannon, and we'll be back in a couple of hours" I tell her. "Where are you going to go shopping?" Mom asks us. "We're just gonna head on up to a few boutiques in town and get some Christmas shopping done. Don't worry Mrs. Parker, I'll have her back in two hours," Shannon tells her. With a smile, Mom tells us to have fun and if for any reason we're gonna be late to call her. We give her a little nod, and I grab my jacket and purse as we head out.

As we arrive at the Square Mall in town, I can't help but notice how cute all of the little boutiques look as they're decorated for Christmas. "If we would have left earlier, we would have seen the Christmas Tree lighting. My parents and I used to come here every year for it. That is until they split up. Ever since I got my drivers license, I haven't missed it. I have so many memories here, that it just reminds me that there are still good things in this world, and I can't help but get a warm feeling every time I come here this time of the year." She tells me. I tell her again how sorry I am about her parents splitting up, and she tells me not to worry about it. After we park the car and walk towards the entrance, there are crowds of people everywhere. I don't even think there is anywhere to even walk. Two middle aged women are fighting over some doll that happens to be the last one on the shelf, and two other women that can't be much older than us, are fighting over who knows what. "What do you say we just come back another day, this place is just a mad house?" I ask her. She nods in return, and drops me off at home where Adam is still in the living room watching a movie. "What happened to being gone for a couple of hours?" He smiles. "Oh shut up Adam. That place was a mad house, and I'm sure you wouldn't have stayed there either." I tell him. "Ha! I wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday even if my life depended on it!" he snickers. "Well since you're home early do you wanna watch this movie with me? I had just started it." He asks. "What movie?" I ask him. "Reindeer Games," he replies. "One of my faves! You know I can't resist that movie!" I reply.  


No comments:

Post a Comment